Getting indulged in an outdoor sports game is one of the most prominent activities in the childhood. Parents encouraging their children to take part and play some sports are extremely beneficial for the child at his tender age. Not only does a child delve into a new sports activity to learn the crucial aspects of a game, it also is good for physically, for the mind and body, keeping the child active. It also helps to build the overall personality of the child and build his character. The child learns to be patient and builds a sense of team spirit. The positives of playing an outdoor sports game are massive. If the child is talented, he/she can further advance and progress in the sports and have a career in the game.
Hockey is one of the popular sports played across the globe. There are people in great numbers that come out to watch the hockey battle on the field. The following is humongous and players have earned a huge name for themselves playing the sports. The game of 11 members, 10 players and a goalkeeper is a sport wherein the two teams battle out trying to guide a ball or a puck into the rival team’s goal with the means of a hockey stick.
So, if you want your child to indulge in a sports activity, hockey is one of the top choices. Moreover, if your child is a good in the sports, if said by his coaches and team, then you as a parent must encourage your child further to take up the sports seriously as a profession. And if you are the child has the attributes of being a good goalkeeper, then it is inarguably one of the best and the most crucial position for the hockey team.
Skills Required for a Good Goalkeeper
Here are some of the key factors needed in a goalkeeper:
- The goalkeeper should be fast enough to prevent the opponent from scoring.
- The goalkeeper should be good at his right and left foot, both.
- The goalkeeper should have the ability to track and close down the shooting angles.
- The goalkeeper should be proficient at saving straight shots at the goal.
- The goalkeeper should also be good at communication with the defenders in order to organize the defence strategy and thereby save a goal from the opponent’s team.
- The goalkeeper should also possess the skills to stay in standing position when required and go down with correct defensive moments as and when necessary.
In order to seek the sports professionally as a goalkeeper of a hockey team, there is some equipment needed by the goalkeeper, considering the dangers of the fast-speed nature of the game. The most important of the game is also the most vulnerable to any kinds of injury that one might face in the course of the gaming action; thus, this equipment aid in protecting the goalkeeper from the possibilities of an injury. Here is the equipment used professionally by a goalkeeper or the goalie of a hockey team:
- Goalie masks – The goalie masks are a huge necessity for any goalkeeper, playing at any level. The goalie masks are made with the purpose of preventing any injuries to the head. With time, the evolution of the goalie masks has served the aim of facilitating better visibility and protection. The most popular option is the full fibreglass mask with birdcage facial protector. Thus, instead of serious head injuries or concussions and lacerations, goalie masks only cause a slight temporary discomfort. With the different variations of hockey around the world, like brandy or ice hockey, the mask may change slightly depending on the game.
- Goalie sticks – A goalie stick helps the goalkeeper to keep away the ball from the goal. Goalie sticks are specially designed in a way to increase the probabilities of saving goals and which also aid in improving clears from the goal. While the length of the stick is important and it majorly depends on the player’s height. Stronger athletes prefer to have a longer stick for better control and grip and to maximize the reach. Also, the weight and thickness of the stick are crucial. Heavy sticks are preferred by defenders for string hitting while for goalkeeping, light and lean hockey sticks are suggested and preferred by most of the goalkeepers for easily making high shot saves. The goalie sticks have an unusual curve at its shaft which allows for extra reach and coverage while blocking the ball from a goal.
- Goalie leg pads – A goalkeeper’s leg pads are crucial for saving those lower shots aimed at the goal. Hockey goalie pads or leg guards protect the legs from the ankle to the top of the knee. Hockey goalie pads are made of dense durable foam so as to rebound the shots out of the bounds and set it away from the goal and from the defensive zone.
- Goalie chest and arm protectors – For the protection of chest and the arms, chest and arm protectors are specially designed for the goalie. Made with nylon shell, chest and arm protectors have layers of segmented pieces of foam and plastic protectors. These may differ in shape, size and density. Goalie chest and arm protectors should be such that they provide excellent protection without compromising on the comfort and mobility of the goaltender.
- Goalie Gloves – Goalie gloves are as important as any other goalkeeper equipment. Goalie gloves should allow for better finger placement and thereby provide better grip and control. They should be made be of a top-notch material and should be strong, extremely durable and lightweight allowing for a comfortable grip.
Considering the importance of a goalkeeper in the game of hockey, high-class equipment such as hockey goalie pads, goalie sticks, goalie masks or helmets, etc., to become a good goalkeeper is a must. It facilitates in the game and helps to win matches.
So, if your child is an aspiring goalkeeper in the game of hockey, then buy him/her with the best quality goalkeeper kit and endure his/her talent to help them earn a name for themselves in the world of hockey.