A beautiful smile can conquer the world. It does not matter if you forgot to put on makeup or you are still in your pyjamas, if your smile is captivating, you will always look beautiful. Learn what things you should start doing and what you should avoid so that you have enviable teeth without resorting to cosmetic dental treatments that, in addition to being excessively expensive, often weaken and mistreat your smile and its natural beauty.
What is orthodontics at Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC?
Orthodontics is an aesthetic odontological treatment that aims to restore the morphological and functional balance of the mouth and face. Orthodontics not only serves to straighten and align the teeth but it is also used to prevent and correct the alterations of the development, of the face, the position of the jaws, the shape of the arches and, above all, of the functional disorders of Chewing.
The goal of an Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC is to achieve the normality of each patient. Orthodontics seeks to create a functional and aesthetic balance by adjusting the teeth and jaws of each patient to their pattern of growth and development in a natural way.
When age orthodontics must be put?
Although it is usually associated with adolescence, there is no fixed age for orthodontic treatment; this will depend on the type of problem, when it appears and its severity. What is important is to make orthodontic revisions to children in order to keep track of their dental health and be able to perform preventive treatments to avoid more serious problems in the future. It is recommended at Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC to make the first revision by the orthodontist at approximately six years since it is at that age when the first definitive molars erupt. At that time the orthodontic specialist must ensure that later when the second permanent molars erupt, all the teeth will fit exactly where and how they should.
A child completes his permanent dentition between twelve and fourteen years of age (except the “wisdom teeth”) although, for different reasons and circumstances, the output of the final teeth may vary. Although these advances and delays should not be cause for concern, it is recommended to consult with the orthodontist to prevent possible future problems.
Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC treatments:
In Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC there are two types of treatments:
- Interceptive treatments: Oriented to the correction of incipient alterations, that is, to correct abnormal habits that can interfere in the regular growth pattern of the face and jaws, such as, for example, sucking the finger. These are treatments that are normally performed during the milk or mixed dentition.
- Corrective treatments: These are those aimed at correcting consolidated malocclusions. Although it is advisable to start these treatments between 10 and 12 years, more and more cases are treated in adults.
To perform a corrective treatment, the most common is to use one of these three types of devices that we have at Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC:
- Functional devices:
Are those that, as the name suggests, make changes in the functionalism of the system, correcting tooth or jaw displacement. They are orthopaedic devices that the patient can remove and that are used during temporary or mixed dentition.
Within the orthopaedic orthodontics, in addition to the functional apparatuses, there are other types of devices, the extraoral devices, which are those used when the growth of the face and jaws needs to be directed with forces that cannot be realized with another type of device. They are the extraoral anchor and the chin. To have an effect, it is necessary to use them the number of daily hours indicated by the orthodontist.
- Removable devices:
They are devices that, although the same patient can remove them, they are subject to the dental pieces, applying controlled pressures on the teeth to move them. They are used mainly for the expansion of the jaws, the correction of crossed bites and in some cases of crowding and tooth movements.
- Fixed appliances or brackets:
As for quality, they are the best option since they allow all kinds of movements for orthodontic correction. They are the only ones that can move each of the dental pieces, individually, in any direction. Although they are commonly called brackets, they are still one of the elements that make up this type of device.
Fixed apparatus or brackets
A fixed apparatus is formed by brackets, which are cemented on each tooth and which are connected with ligatures to a wire arch. The position of the bracket and the shape of the arch are controlled by the orthodontist, so that controlled pressures are applied to each tooth to bring them to the desired position. Sometimes it is necessary to use elastics or intermaxillary gums to perform some dental movement or move the jaws. The brackets can be metallic or ceramic.
Ceramic or aesthetic brackets are the colour of tooth enamel, which makes orthodontic treatment more imperceptible.
- Dental malposition: in horizontal or vertical movements of dental pieces, when the crown or root of the piece is displaced.
- Rotating teeth: it is the only type of apparatus with which rotational movements can be made. – Closing spaces: you can close the interdental spaces by moving the entire tooth (crown and root) and place it in parallel to the adjacent pieces.
- Relation of incisors: they allow making angular corrections of the position of the incisors.
- Multiple movements: they allow controlling the position of several teeth or groups of teeth at the same time and in both jaws. They also allow performing all kinds of movements at once (rotation, tilt, apical) and apply intermaxillary or extraoral forces.
Once the treatment with fixed appliances is finished at Upper West Side Orthodontist NYC, it is necessary to use retention devices to prevent the teeth from returning to their previous position. With the retainers, the teeth remain in place until the maxillary bones and gums adapt to the change that has occurred in the mouth.